Tuesday 24 August 2010

Fashionistas

It does make me laugh when I overhear conversations from other people proclaiming to have a love for fashion, saying how they are up on all the latest trends - but I can't help but look at them and think in 10 years time when you are looking back over your old photos, you will be laughing out loud thinking 'my god what was I thinking?'

I overheard two girls talking on the train this morning about the clobber they was wearing and acting like they were uber cool - one of them was wearing stone-washed elasticated jeans with a slouch t-shirt and the other what can only be described as a Pat Evans cast-off - and I was looking at the first one knowing that I had some old photos buried at my parents house, with me dressed in stone-wash denim back in the 80's, that I like to claim no longer exist (along with the cult classic photos of me in the luminous pink shell bottoms).

It does make me wonder whether it is actually possible to 'create' your own image, as there have been so many different trends over the decades that surely it can't be possible to invent something completely different that hasn't already been worn at some point or other by someone else.

Take where I used to work in Shoreditch as a classic example. It's deemed a trendy area full of hip, funky, original individuals - you wouldn't be out of place wearing over-sized Ray Bans, with multi-coloured skinny-jeans, vintage t-shirts and back-combed or afro hairstyles. But when you wander around the area every single person is wearing these clothes to look like an 'individual' resulting in them looking as un-original as possible and instead looking like clones of each other.

When I was out at dinner the other week with a friend I was told I should be more adventurous and 'funky' with my clothes choices - but at the end of the day I am comfortable with what I wear, I can wear it for as long as I want without worrying about them being out-of-season clothes - and most importantly I can look back at myself in 10 years time and be quietly happy in the knowledge that I don't look like a complete and utter twat thinking 'oh my gosh........!'

No comments:

Post a Comment