Monday 11 July 2011

Hanging up my runners.....

So, the big day finally came round, my 10k run around Battersea Park. A mere stones throw for some people, but what felt like a mountain to me!

It's fair to say I wasn't at my fittest and my training schedule most certainly didn't go to plan, but I was most proud of the fact that I didn't stop once and kept a steady pace for the whole run, completing it in a somewhat reasonable 1hr 6 minutes. The last 2.5k was certainly hard going and it would have been so easy to give up and walk the last stretch, owing to the fact my leg felt like it was on fire and my knee had well and truly swollen. But like a trooper (albeit slightly insane one) I carried on and pushed myself over the finish line. It was a bit disheartening seeing all the other girls speed up and sprint over the finish line, whereas I could just about drag my sorry arse there, but I made the effort knowing it is going to be my last run for a very long time.

As of today, owing to a promise I made to a very wise and somewhat worried friend of mine, I have promised not to do anymore running until my knee has well and truly healed up - or at least until after my holiday. Seeing the pain I have been in, knowing she is the only one I have admitted it to, putting on a 'it'll be fine' face to everyone else, she has a document from myself that I was forced to sign, promising to hang up my running shoes until I am 100% well and fit again.

I do feel a bit sad at having to give up one of my loves in life, but if I'm true to myself I've not really been enjoying it that much since injuring my knee, the pain out masking the fun of it. So I do agree it is time I stop kidding myself and face up to the fact I need to focus on something else for the time being.

Now, the fun begins with finding something else to do. I never said I would give up exercise altogether, as lord knows that would never happen, but I'm sure I can stumble across something else I can enjoy for the time being....you never know, maybe an extreme sport or hobby could be the way forward! I've always fancied abit of monster trucking or sky diving..........

No comments:

Post a Comment