Monday 31 January 2011

True friends to the end?

The amount of times I've heard growing up, people say only time will tell who your true friends are - and I'm starting to realise how very true that saying is.

It's natural for people when they grow up they tend to spread out, start a family or choose a quieter pace of life, but you always think that there'll be certain amigos that will make the extra effort to stay in contact and have regular catch ups with. Even though I do still make an effort with all my friends, I'm getting to the stage now where I can't help but feel that with certain people I am doing this all in vain.

Only this weekend I was having a heart to heart down the local talking about someone who I thought would always be there to share life with, someone I grew up with, who has now made it very clear I don't fit in their life anymore owing to the fact that I have to be kept separate from all her 'couple' friends as I may not be able to 'cope' with it. Whilst I was sitting there in the pub, I realised I was crying into the shoulder of someone who has actually turned out to be one of my best friends and I never would have thought it in a million years. Someone who I had known when in college and then drifted apart from - only to drift back in contact with again a couple of years ago and he's proved that he is growing into a rather solid rock.

Life has it's ups and downs and I believe in taking every day as it comes, but every now and again it's always nice to see a shining star that brings a twinkle to your eye and brightens your day into a genuine smile that reaches the eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment