Friday 14 January 2011

Virtual Reality

Is a new era upon us - have I seen the light? Or am I joining geek status and delving in too deeply into the 2D world of my laptop? Not only have I succumbed to Facebook, Twitter and Blogger - but my new online adventure has got me branching out to Tumblr too.

I do but wonder why it is that one person could feel the need to have so many different websites to post blogs / photos / items / articles about themselves and things that interest them. I can't help but feel that even on a conscious level I know that this should be wrong, yet it is strangely compelling and extremely addictive.

I can't help but think what the future has in store for the modern man and images from a film I saw last year (the name escapes me....) where no one actually leaves their house keep popping up in my mind. They function through their computer and are so out of touch with reality that they actually don't know how to interact with other people and can't quite remember what fresh air is.....

Am I heading that way too or is it really just a bit of harmless fun? I must say I go for the latter and like using these tools to communicate with people of a great distance and to enjoy things that I have found amusing along the way, hoping it will bring some joy amongst others in my life too.

But I also know that there is a dark side to these websites and people get solely addicted to the sites, where they can barely function an hour without feeling the need to blog something and check their status. Just tonight I was uploading something on FB and up popped a chat box from a mate of mine. I say mate, but whenever I try to arrange a catch up I always get the same old, 'yeah I'll get back to you....' but tonight on FB he said to me that he loves the chat function as that is the only way he can keep in contact with people. Erm, hello? Not heard of a phone? Text? Pub? If you got off your computer and ventured out then you would indeed be able to 'catch up' with people.

I guess this is the effect of an ever moving world where people try to keep up with the times and as much as I love blogging etc.... I'll always prefer a face to face catch up, which is definitely not rivaled in the 2D world...

No comments:

Post a Comment