Wednesday 18 May 2011

The Youth of Today

Have you ever had one of those clearly defining moments in time, when almost like a light bulb switiching on, you suddenly wake up and think to yourself - what the hell am I doing?

I had one of these Eureka moments on Saturday. It was one of my friends birthday and she wanted to see her last twenty-something birthday out in style, by having a few bevvies with close friends, rounding of the night with a boogie somewhere to see in the small hours.

We started off in a perfectly nice bar, made even better by the two-for-one offers on some very refreshing Mojitos. Granted it was a bit rucus in there, being Camden, but it was a lively rucus which we took great delight in blending into. Then it was decided after departing the bar, we would head on down to the Electric Ballrooms - and from here, I can honestly say, it all went a Pete Tong.

Don't get me wrong, it was still a laugh to be out and about, but I seriously felt like a fish out of water and couldn't help but look about me thinking what mad house have I landed in? I think it's safe to say we were definitely one of the older groups in the club and I have to say the other girls in there were rather shameless. I know it's the done thing to be out having a laugh when your young, but I'm sure I was never that bad at that age.

I got to see arse cheeks galore where the skirts didn't cover the underwear - and in some cases I'm sure there wasn't even any underwear involved. There were a fair selection of the - shall we say - larger ladies, who were clearly wearing clothes two sizes too small (I'm all for being confident in your own skin, but there are certain things that just should not be displayed, rolls of body fat and beer bellies being just that!) and don't get me started on the binge drinking. I saw one particular girl who was swigging pints of beer, got dragged outside by her mate to puke all over the pavement, as well as herself and her mate in the process, then come sauntering back in to carry on drinking and even copped off with a bloke in the corner. Since when has pebble dashing been a glamourous look, especially when it is smeared down your chin and in between your clevage???

It was quite a relief to get out and back into the norm of reality. Maybe I'm just getting too old for this crap and really am turning into my mother, but give me a good old cocktail bar anyday, with a bit of live music and a nice chilled relaxed atmosphere. At the end of the day, self-decency and respect costs nothing ladies......you'll thank me one day - when you get as old and wise as I am!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment