Monday 8 November 2010

Dark Days Ahead......

So, it seems that winter is officially here - dark days, dampness, rain, rain - and more rain! Plus extremely cold weather that feels like it is peeling the skin of your cheeks and getting your hair back-combed for free in the gale force winds.

Don't you just love the quintessential British weather? Does it make you feel proud to be born and bred in a Country where you get about 10 days of sunshine a year, about 30 dry days and about 325 wet cold miserable days?

I would like to say yes, but right at this moment in time I would just about do anything to be sitting on a beach....in the Mediterranean....with a cocktail and a whole lot of sun!

After this morning's winter weather debut, I am sitting here with feet that are still damp, jeans that are soaked half way up my calves and I keep finding stray bits of hair that have been knotted up and frizzed out that - goddammit - just won't stay in place. I like to think that I am not a vain person, but at the same time this is so not a good look right now.

You could almost say I feel like a drowned rat - I most certainly feel about as attractive as one and to make matters worse I noticed at the weekend that my tan lines have now officially faded into oblivion. How depressing!

I sit here with the knowledge that this is only just the beginning of the dark winter days ahead - it's not quite got to the stage yet where I whip my foot straight back under the covers in the morning, because it is just too damned cold and consider pulling a sickie for the warmth of the haven that is my bed. But I know it is coming, I can feel it brewing in the air.....

I shall try to stay positive and remind myself that I can get through this. I will get to see my ten days of sunshine soon, which will refresh my memory of just how great London really is.

No comments:

Post a Comment