Friday 26 November 2010

Why Do Buildings Have Such Silly Names...

Have just found this article on the BBC News website and thought it was worth a chuckle:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-11838167

If someone came up to you and mentioned the words Gherkin, Cucumber, Shard or Cheese Grater you'd think they would be talking about a dodgy party back in the 70's - but you would be mistaken, as these are the oh so clever 'nicknames' that cast a shadow across our skylines.

When I saw this report I thought 'hmm, maybe there is some deep meaningful purpose to these so called nicknames...' and thought I would take a quick peek to broaden my enlightenment into the British world of Architecture. In actual fact, I can't say I really gained anything from this article other than the fact that British designers seem to have a rather dry sense of humour.

I'm sure the average John Doe could come up with something more imaginative than the Cheese Grater or the Gherkin - lord knows I've heard much more cruder references down the local on a Saturday night! But I guess you do have to laugh at the absurdity of it.

Only in Blighty could you design a building, then give it a really dodgy nickname just for the mere sake of outdoing your fellow rivals. I take it they've never heard of a bit of friendly rivalry over a game of Poker......

No comments:

Post a Comment