Friday 18 March 2011

Fitness Guru....or health freak?

This seems to be the lively topic of debate floating around my office at the moment, involving my fitness regime. Am I becoming some type of fitness guru, getting up at 5:30 am to do my exercises - or am I becoming a health freak and should be lazing in my bed as suggested by one certain colleague?

I don't think I'm that extreme - I'm focused on how much weight I want to loose and what areas I want to tone up - but I don't feel I go overboard. You'd never catch me doing a 26 mile marathon and putting myself through un-necessary duress and I don't get up every single morning to work out and then put myself on a really strict diet.

I like to think I have the balance right - exercise two-three times a week - then go down the pub two to three times a week to even it out! That's what it's all about, right?! Cancelling out the bad with the good.....no, only kidding - kind of....

My thoughts are that if I'm already in an insomnia-induced semi-awake conscious state, I may as well make the most of the morning and waken myself up fully. I know they say no pain, no gain, but the longer you exercise the easier it becomes. For me it's more the thought of getting up, than actually doing the exercise that causes me pain. I do actually really enjoying it once I'm out running or doing my kick boxing or pumps etc... and I can notice a big difference now to say two months ago. I can now do a 5k run without hobbling round like an old lady for two days afterwards, my knees no longer ache and when I cool down afterwards I can now actually reach my ankles - hurrah! That in itself is a life time achievement!

So, in answer to my colleagues question - fitness guru or health freak? I say neither, I'm just someone who's slightly insane and trying to stave of a jelly belly in my old age.....

No comments:

Post a Comment