Wednesday 27 April 2011

For Blogs Sake!

Why is it when you have a short week, your expectations are that it will fly by before the next round of bank holidays and for another four day weekend to be upon us. But no. It's Wednesday afternoon, time is dragging, I feel like I have been here 10 days already and I am so bored it is unreal. It's not the 'I have nothing to do so lets occupy my time with meaningless crap' boredom. It's the 'I have stuff to do but I really really can't be asked to do it, so I'm going to try to pass off my time with meaningless crap' boredom.

Seriously, I'm not joking - but I'm sure a morgue has more life than this office. It's only a small team anyway, so when over half of them are on leave and there is only about 4 others to occupy the space, you can literally hear a needle drop. I listen out for the buses going past my window to get a reprieve from the silence or try to find the fascination of seeing my glass of water vibrate every time a tube passes underneath our office.

There is only so much fun you can invent on your own, sitting at a desk, surrounded by work obsessed individuals, who still can't understand why it is my computer is switched off at 5:30pm promptly and I'm firmly out the door. 'You putting in another half day?' is the daily office joke. Except it's not actually funny, but I humour my colleagues by pretending to laugh with them whilst thinking, run! Freedom!

Ah, still, such is life! At least the office bunny boiler is still here to keep Ken and I entertained with her funny ways. Every time I look at her to see her staring and smiling at me, I can't quite help but hear the theme tune from Psycho resonating in my head - and only have to look at my desk buddy to know he is thinking the exact same thing. Then we resolve into quiet fits of giggles (well he's quiet, I'm not so, which draws a few sidelong glances...) which breaks up the monotonous day of city life. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment