Friday 8 October 2010

Simple Life

Having returned from holiday almost two weeks ago, I am still suffering from some post-holiday blues and sitting at my desk thinking 'there must be more to life....'

The destination for my holiday was Java and Bali in Indonesia - I felt like doing something out of my comfort zone and have a totally different holiday experience than sitting on a beach for two weeks in Spain - and I can definitely say that it was an amazing experience!

I had a few people ask me before I went, 'Why Java? It's a developing country, they're really poor and it's filthy dirty' and whilst they maybe poor material wise, they certainly are not poor in generosity, human spirit and kindness and it was the most beautiful Island I have ever been to.

Americans aside, I have never met a nation that takes such pride in their Country. Everywhere I went people stopped to say hello, the children were all smiling and playing in the streets and what little they had they was willing to offer to others. It certainly made me ashamed to think of the streets of Britain where no one communicates, people pick fights for no other reason than that they are bored, they don't believe in sharing with others and most people don't even know who their neighbours are.

If there was ever an image for 'the best things in life are free' then the locals that I met in Indonesia definitely fit the bill and opened my eyes to the fact that the simple things in life are all that really matter.

You come into this world with nothing and you leave with nothing, but it's nice to make people smile and be loved along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment